Sunday, September 11, 2011

'Tis the season

I've always felt that Autumn is THE season for knitters. Oh sure, people are always quick to think of Winter, pointing out the necessity of the hats and mittens and such that knitters produce to get our loved ones through its long cold months, and they're absolutely right. But Autumn is when we can show off our knitwear not because we HAVE to, but because we WANT to. We can throw on a cardigan or a scarf and not look out of place. We can pull on a hat and a pair of fingerless mitts and look fashionable. Let's face it, when it's minus 20 degrees Celsius in January, you don't care WHAT the knitwear looks like, you just want to get warm. But in Autumn? Knitwear can be appreciated for the beautiful pieces of art they are.

This morning, over breakfast, Phil and I were discussing how absolutely perfect the day was shaping up to be. The sky was gloriously blue, the sun was shining, and yet the air was crisp and fresh.

This afternoon we took the kids on a nature hike in the woods that Phil used to explore as a kid. We've all been there a million times, but each time we manage to find something new and interesting to explore and marvel over. It's always soothing to get out there and just BE for a while. Restorative. For all of us.

Plus, it was the perfect opportunity to take pictures of the Linen Stitch Koigu Scarf, heh.






I can tell I'm going to get a LOT of wear out of this scarf this season. It's the perfect accessory to just throw on and instantly feel fabulous. Wearing it made me feel fashionable and grown-up. I felt sure Stacy and Clinton would approve.

To your needles, my fellow Knitters! Rejoice, for scarf season has officially begun!


Happy Knitting, Everyone!

11 comments:

Maryse said...

Plus qu'un accessoire, il vole la vedette! Magnifique! Très intriguant par contre... Il semble tricoté dans "l'autre sens"... Très beau fil!

cauchy09 said...

wow, that's a really beautiful scarf! i love all the colors in it and the linen stitch keeps them controlled.

hooray for Autumn! (though I want summer back...)

Amy J said...

I'm new to your blog :) but love the scarf. I definitely think Stacy and Clinton would approve...and I'm thinking I need to make one of my own instead of drooling over everyone else's :)

Celia said...

Fall is the absolutely best season! I love that scarf! The colors are so vibrant.

margaux said...

BEAUTIFUL!! it looks like you wove it! :-)

Dawn said...

Looks like the perfect day for a hike! I agree, Stacey and Clinton would definitely approve!

Vicki Knitorious said...

That scarf is gorgeous! I wouldn't mind a little bit more summer, but autumn is good!!

Sinéad said...

I can see why you waited for a proper photo shoot, what a gorgeous scarf. The colours are so vibrant and really suit you. The backdrop to the photo shoot looks great too! Hope you enjoyed your hike. I'm off to dig out all of my scarves. :)

Jacqueline said...

Couldn't agree with you more. Now Autumn is here I'm enthusiastic about my knitting again. Fingerless mittens are on my needles as I write.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

It's gorgeous hun! Very inspiring!

Jennifer Lori said...

Gorgeous scarf! (and I love me a good WNTW shout-out)