Sunday, June 14, 2009

Options

As my regular readers know, I like to knit socks on the subway on my way to work. I find it both relaxing and extremely entertaining because it invariably gets attention and freaks out the Muggles to varying degrees.

I finished my Vintage Habs socks* while watching Game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup final on Friday, and as these were my current socks in progress, I started to think of what to cast on next.

I don't know how you go about choosing a sock project, but what usually happens for me is that I begin by going through the stash and pulling out the yarns that get my attention, and then I browse through my queue of patterns for something I think would work with the yarn I've selected. It may not be the most efficient system, but it usually works out, and let's face it: our love for this craft is rooted in a deep affection for yarn, right? Might as well start there.

This is what I came up with when I dove into the stash on Saturday night: some Twisted Fiber Art, some Fiesta Boomerang, 2 different skeins of Vesper self-striping, some Dyed in the Wool Handmade, Claudia Hand Painted...

All beautiful, all very tempting... But when I went through my queue, Tina Lorin's Mad Color Weave socks really spoke to me, and I think they'll look amazing with this yarn:


Zen String Harmony fingering yarn, in the Valentino colourway. Oh yeah baby.... this is going to be sweet!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

* yes I know, there are no pictures of the Habs socks. They're blocking now. Sorry!

6 comments:

Cynthia F said...

Very nice!!! I do the same, the yarn comes first...!

Sereknitty said...

I'm not remotely interested in knitting socks, but I must say that yarn is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

That color is so pretty!

p.s. It was great to see you this weekend! (You too, KTE)

Let's do this more than once every 9 or so months, shall we?

birana said...

So many nice yarns. miam miam! I would make lovely gloves of hat with those socks yarn ;)

Sinéad said...

Oh you enabler you! That pattern is gorgeous! I've added it to my ever growing queue... It will look fantastic in the yarn you've chosen too.

Montreal Mama said...

Yes we must all get together sooner than every 9 months, LOL. let's get us all together! You, KTE, Jenn, etc ;)

Great yarn choice!