Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yum

As I mentioned earlier this week, Phil and I have been making a real effort to eat better, try to live healthier, etc. We signed up for the organic produce delivery service (and we've almost eaten all of this week's basket - Yay!), I've been making a real effort to buy either local or organic, and I'm really trying to make choices that are both physically AND economically sound when it comes to what I choose to buy for my family.

Sounds good, huh? Well, all I can say is: Hah! Easier said than done, my friends. Good intentions are all well and good, but when you've got a five and two year-old at the table (and mind you, I wouldn't call them particularly picky, they're really quite average)? Healthy=schmealthy.

For instance:

For dinner today I made a Jerusalem artichoke velouté soup, from scratch (I'm throwing in the French and italics as a way to try to impress you, really it's just boiled and puréed, with onions and butter), Swiss Chard quiche with Emmental cheese, and an apple-raspberry crumble - using organic apples and flour! - for dessert. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but it was delicious, I tell you. An absolutely exquisite meal. Oh what the Hell... toot toot!

Don't believe me? Well here, see for yourself:

Honestly, it seems as though the entire day was spent preparing for tonight's dinner. I made the soup around lunch time, had Émilie help me with the apple-raspberry crumble while Maxime napped, pondered the organic eggs I had in the fridge and decided on quiche for dinner, ran to the grocery store to buy the veggies and bread around 3:30, came home at 5:30 from visiting my mother and made said quiche... I literally spent the entire day preparing dinner!

And what do you suppose happened when it all came together like some kind of culinary ballet at the dinner table?

Well... the kids poo-pooed the soup (Phil and I loved it!), Émilie practically gagged at the quiche (Maxime liked it), and - well OK, everyone liked the apple-raspberry crumble (except that Émilie didn't get to eat any because of the afore-mentioned gagging). Not exactly what I was going for...

Gah! Why do I put myself through this? Why, why, WHY???? They are SO getting wiener wraps for dinner tomorrow night!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

5 comments:

Caroline said...

That quiche looks wonderful. Yum. I haven't made quiche in a long long time!

Sinéad said...

Aw that's a shame after all the effort you put in. The quiche looks gorgeous.
Sometimes kids just take a dislike to stuff before they even try it. For mine it's mushrooms and tomatoes.

Montreal Mama said...

Everything looks & sounds wonderful. It's too bad that the kids weren't exactly into it. Sometimes I make the kids something simpler than what J & I are eating for supper, just because it's easier and we don't have to have them put up a fight we don't really want to battle!

Now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

It all sounds yummy, but I'd love to try the quiche or the soup. Where are the recipes from?

* said...

I knitted a hat years ago and tried to knit a blanket for my fist daughter. I have no idea what I am doing now...are there any tips or books that you could recommend?

Thanks.