Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It never rains...

September is my least favourite month, let's just get that out of the way right now. I always seem to hemorrhage money from every orifice, and despite my oath to economize in preparation for Rhinebeck, it seems this year won't be any different.

In my own defense, there are certain things I just can't control, like the fact that EVERYONE I KNOW AND LOVE SEEMS TO BE BORN IN SEPTEMBER. I'm not kidding. My cousin (and my daughter's Godmother) Jessica is born on the 11th, my father-in-law on the 14th, my mom AND my dad on the 18th, and my husband on the 23rd. Plus my vehicle registration is always payable in September. Ish.

Then yesterday I had to take our beat-up Ford to the garage to fix it's muffler, and of course they found yet more "you-must-fix-this-or-you-risk-imminent-death" problems, all to the jaunty tune of 794.00$. Ouch. So, will we be going to Rhinebeck after all? The fact is that I'm now wondering if I'll be able to pay for gas and hotel accommodations, let alone yarn. So we'll see.

In other news, I've only got about 10 rows to go to complete the first sleeve on Emilie's sweater, and although my inner Jimminy is now insisting that I will run out of yarn on my Gentleman's sock before I even get close to the toe-shaping, I'm knitting doggedly on, and will only face the truth when I absolutely have to.

After yesterday's post, I decided to swatch the Tulip Baby Cardigan (my friend's baby shower is on October 8th). I'm going to have to go up 2 needle sizes to get gauge, from a US 7 (4.5 mm) to a US 9 (5.5 mm) and of course, I don't happen to own any 5.5 mm, 32 inch circular needles. So it was a quick trip to Ram Wools (I wanted to order from my fellow Montrealer Robyn, but alas, she doesn't carry circulars). When I mentioned this to my husband (making sure to specify that my non-purchase oath was for yarn ONLY), this was his reply: "How many f#$%ing needle sizes are there, anyway?!?!?!?!". Ah, muggles... :)

3 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

I can order circulars but right now I'm not keeping them in stock. If there is anything you need, do let me know!

Jennifer Lori said...

I hear you...I love September but man is it expensive! My 3 best friends are on the 9th, 12th and 19th, I'm on the 11th, my hubby's on the 3rd and it's also our anniversary on the 3rd, plus my brother is on the 16th.

Montreal Mama said...

My wedding anniversary is the 18th of September!