Monday, November 12, 2007

The Frog Pond

Sadly, my attempt at designing was not meant to be this time. As you'll recall from the last post, I was trying to knit a ribbed hat with earflaps without resorting to seaming and without picking up stitches either. I decided to use short rows to make the earflaps (easy enough), but also wanted to have a ribbed edge to the hat for extra warmth, without picking up stitches (not so easy). "I know! I'll use a provisional cast-on", I thought. Easy!

So that's what I did. I cast on 88 stitches (Maxime's got a really big head) using a provisional cast on, then knit about 4.5 cm (or 1.75 inches) of K5, P3 ribbing. I then unzipped the cast-on, picked up the stitches, and began knitting the earflaps using short rows. Worked in theory, not so much in real life. Still, I'm quite proud of myself for even attempting anything at all. I really feel I'm growing as a knitter. :)


So, as per Maggie's suggestion, I decided to knit the hat then pick up stitches on either side for the earflaps. I cast on a second hat, this time using a K4, P4 rib (I didn't like the look of the K5, P3), and knit, knit, knit. I even got Maxime to submit to a fitting! (Please ignore the double-chinned lady in the background of this picture. *Sigh*)

And here we have the finished item! Here are the specs: knit with *cough!* Red Heart Soft Touch 100% acrylic using 4.0 mm needles at 5 stitches to the inch. Earflaps (and i-cord ties! How's that for originality!) picked up at folded edge of the hat. I used Susan B. Anderson's Itty-Bitty Hats as a guide for the sizing and decrease sequence.

I've decided to take the Gentleman's socks with Lozenge Pattern (aka the brown socks from Hell) out of detention and gorf like a mad woman today. After all, Christmas is only 6 weeks away (Aaaaack!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo on the hat - it looks great on him :)!
Good luck with the gorfing...be strong (do you need chocolate to get through this?)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Okay, I'm caught up. The hat is a great colour. and Maxime is handsome. Thank you for providing babies for the family to cuddle with.

Maggie said...

What a cherub!

Montreal Mama said...

Love the hat on Maxime! He looks good in red.

Ali P said...

The hat is wonderful Way to go!!

Jennifer Lori said...

Yay! You designed- great job! The hat looks amazing, and he looks so cute in it!

LOL You dirty girl- gorfing like mad. Got me chuckling over here. :)

Ali P said...

Ok..what IS gorf-ing??LOL
T, there is a northern Montreal group meeting next week in Repentigny.When: next Thursday November 22 at 19h00 Where: Café Morgane in Repentigny (it is the nicest café in the region - so far - they have internet access and so on.. ) It is right on the corner of Notre-Dame and Brien. I think they are called Tricot de The Mtl.