Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nonstop Fun

You know, for the past few mornings I've lain in bed and let my mind wander back to a simpler time, when summer vacation meant actual leisure, relaxation and rest. Then the kids start yelling at each other, juice needs to be distributed, breakfast made, and we're back to reality. Anyone who looks forward to being able to enjoy some "time off" over summer break clearly doesn't have young children.

Now, last time we spoke I was feeling all introspecty and moody after reading a few chapters of A Gift from the Sea. Sadly, I've been unable to even pick up the damn book over the past few days, let alone read it, so you'll have to wait for any further insights I might have (I know, you're heartbroken. I can tell).

Now let me think.... Monday? I don't even remember what we did on Monday. Oh wait! Yes, the kids went to their grandparents' house for the evening and spent the night there, and Phil and I ordered pizza, I had beer, and then we went out to see a movie. Rather uncharacteristically, we saw a romantic comedy, The Ugly Truth. It was pretty good, even though I prefer Gerard Butler with his Scottish accent. I'd definitely recommend renting it.

Tuesday we picked up the kids and all headed down to Rouses Point, N.Y. for our annual day on Phil's parents' boat (and yes, I spent the entire day singing "I'm on a boat! I'm on a boat! Everybody look at me, 'cause I'm sailing on a boat!"). Again, this would be one of those trips that I used to look forward to before we had kids, and now I positively dread every year. There's just no way to get around it: having 4 adults and 2 children under 5 on a 32-foot boat just is not fun. The kids have to wear their life jackets all the time, which makes them really cranky (and I don't blame them), it's noisy, it's difficult to move around, and really, when you get right down to it, there isn't much to do.

And yet, there are indisputably a few moments that always seem to make the trip worthwile every year.
Maxime and Émilie both got a kick out of "driving" the boat, Émilie got to fish and swim in Lake Champlain. These moments are what childhood memories are all abouth, right? Let's just focus on that and try to forget the horror that was spending the night on the boat, shall we? The wounds are still too fresh on that one. *Shudder*

We came home on Wednesday and spent the day doing whosits and whatsits. I ran, Phil took Émilie to the municipal wading pool, the kids rode their bikes.

And today was much the same, excepting for the fact that Émilie got to go ride a pony with a friend from daycare who is equally as obsessed with all things "horse" as she is.

Whew! Thank goodness my vacation ends on Monday and I get to go back to work and relax!

I know I promised a return to knitting content as well. Now, I know it isn't much to look at yet, but I finally (finally!) cast on for a cardigan for myself last night, and I'm very excited. I'll be making Laura Chau's Amelia cardigan (from the Winter 2008 Knitty) and I'm using Madelinetosh tosh worsted in the Cherry colourway (oh, and about this yarn? Can I just say? Yum-O).

Speaking of which, I can hear it calling me right now. Toodles!

And Happy Knitting Everyone!

5 comments:

Sereknitty said...

That's going to make one very pretty cardi -- good colour for you, too.

Alrischa said...

At least you get to send one to school sometimes Ü

Byron has been saying "Toodles" to his daddy when Nathan leaves for work in the morning. It cracks me up! hehe.

Sinéad said...

I lovee the Mdeline Tosh yarn, looks scrummy. You've had a busy staycation - I'm worn out just reading all you did!

Montreal Mama said...

Ooh la la to that Madelinetosh Worsted Weight yarn, I cannot wait to see your cardigan!

The boating looks like fun regardless. I miss boating (we used to have a boat before it burned down (another story for another time).

I hear ya, on the "time-off".... Last vacation I took, I needed a vacation from my vacation without the kids.

Amelah said...

Aww makes me miss our boat!!!