Saturday, August 23, 2008

Always Thinking Ahead

*Warning - possible risqué content below*

Hello, My name is Tara, and I'm a closet mental-masturbator.

Anyone who knows me personally will tell you that I'm a planner. I love to look ahead and set up goals for myself, I love to organize and write lists. In fact, with me planning takes on such a scope that, more often than not, whether I actually end up DOING what I've been planning for becomes irrelevant. By feverishly planning, I've burned the candles at both ends, and the spark that got the whole ball going burns itself out.

Why am I talking about this? Because it seems that, over the past few weeks, all I've been doing is planning, thinking about things I want to do. Financial planning, weightloss and fitness planning, vacation planning... There must be something in the air, because even Phil, who's a total "live in the now" kind of guy, surprised the crap out of me last night by asking me, out of the blue, what I wanted to do with my life that I hadn't done yet (and that didn't involve traveling, which is too easy).

Financial planning: I've already decided not to buy yarn until Rhinebeck, and it's working out quite well. The propensity towards planning rather than DOING is actually working in my favour on this one. I can look at yarn online all I want, but don't actually BUY anything.

This is a widdle baby goal, however. Phil and I have been debating whether we want to move into a new house or renovate our current one, and have been tossing the pros and cons back and forth for the past few weeks. Again, this whole issue might peter itself out before we decide on anything, but it's still quite the conundrum.

Fitness and weightloss planning: I've been looking at pictures of myself taken over the summer, and I'm not happy. While the baby weight from Maxime was going down for a while, I suspect it's coming back on (I guess I can't really call it baby weight anymore, Maxime being 15 months old and all). I've analyzed the situation at length, and these are the facts:
  • I don't exercise. Ever. I'm not going to say I exercise moderately, because that'd be a lie. I've been completely inactive since returning home from Japan. Furthermore,
  • I'm not willing to give up my leisure time. When the kids are in bed, I want to sit on the couch and knit, and nothing on this earth is going to deter me from that. Accepting this is key.
  • I don't eat right. OK, I don't eat junk food (mostly because I don't want my kids to eat junkfood), but I'm fond of sweets, and my portions have gotten substantially larger over the past few months.
So I've come up with a goal and a plan (surprise!!!). I'm embarking on a healthy eating plan (not a crazy "half-a-grapefruit-for-breakfast-and-broth-for-dinner" diet) and taking up a fitness program. Genius, right???

What's the diet? Reduce my portions, drink plenty of water, go vegetarian for lunch. No alcohol or sweets during the week, and only moderately on weekends.

The workout plan? Since I'm unwilling to give up my evenings, I've only got one option left to me: my lunch hour at work. I checked out a Curves located within walking distance from the office this week, and I think I'm going to sign up. If I can do that 30-minute program, 3 times a week (during my lunch hour), I'll be happy.

My goal? To fit comfortable into these jeans.

Ugh. I bought these before I got pregnant with Émilie and, even at my thinnest, they were tight (they shrank after washing. No really, they DID). They may never become my favourite pair, but I'd like to be able to get them past my knees (which I can't do anymore). I estimate I'd probably have to lose at LEAST 12 pounds to make that happen.

Vacation planning: Phil has to go to Paris for work this Fall. I want to go. Never mind that I haven't finished paying for my trip to Japan (which may enter into conflict with the above-mentioned financial planning). It's Paris, I've never been there, I wanna go.

Plus, Phil and I have racked up a staggering amount of Aeroplan miles (Thank you CIBC!), so I'd like to use them for a family trip. Probably a pipe-dream though (free flights does not equal free trip).

Wow! Well, never let it be said that I don't dream BIG! :)

On the knitting front, I've almost completed the front of Sizzle. Stamina is key now, people. No matter what, I must NOT fizzle on the sizzle! We're entering the dreaded assembly and finishing stage of this project, which is where I usually falter. Gotta keep it up, Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō, Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō, Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō.

I also cast on a new pair of socks for some easy commuter knitting. The baby pinwheel, with about 500 stitches on the needles, was just getting to be too much. Unfortunately, as this is destined for the gift pile, I can't show you any progress on that one. Check out my projects on Ravelry if you're so inclined (just not NOW, I haven't put up pictures yet).

Yes folks, I've begun my Christmas knitting. A few nights ago I dreamt that it December 23rd, and I didn't have a single present bought. Not a one. I woke up with a start, and cast on those socks the next day.

Happy Knitting Everyone!

12 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

I really don't want to know what you do with your zucchini and cucumbers Tara! JK! Looks like you've been getting yummy stuff from your garden! We should have 2 new cucumbers by maybe Monday and a Zucchini by then too. We've been spoiled all summer eating grilled Zuc on the BBQ!

Great goals. I also am starting "diet" on Sept 1st. I did the GI diet (just eliminating white flour and sugar - whole wheat is okay) and lost 25 lbs from March until my wedding day. I need to lose just that right now 25 lbs, from both pregnancies. (Getting pregnant when Sean was only 9 months old didn't help the weight loss from pregnancy number 1).

I also don't like giving up my leisure time at night where I can knit. I rarely get to do that as it is!

Montreal Mama said...

You wouldn't believe the dirty word I just had to type in for your word verification. Now I must get my mind outta the guttah....

Caroline said...

Good luck with your goals though I think you already look fantastic!

I need to get on a diet too (as soon as I get back from the trip) so I can lose the... pre-baby weight... I guess I can call it that :P

If you can go to Paris, go! I've been 3X and I would go again, and again, and again!

(I want to know what word Robyn had to type for word verification! My friend got "merde" the other day!)

Jennifer Lori said...

I like the new look, very clean!

I hear ya exactly on the planning thing. I get so excited with each new design idea I get that I sit down and sketch and draw and color...and then I'm done. Half the time I don't feel the need or want to cast on because I feel like I'm done already. :)

Good luck with the goals! Curves is fun, I did a combination of the GI thing that Robyn did and Curves to lose weight for my wedding. I didn't lose a ton because I wasn't really as strict as I should have been, but the workout was fun, fast and convenient (they are EVERYWHERE).

I also want to know what word Robyn got!

And I'm sooo jealous of your trips! Japan! Paris! What's next, Egypt?!?

p.s. If you decide to do renos instead of moving, I know a guy... ;)

Mrhide said...

actually maybe Germany :)

Sereknitty said...

I think you look amazing as you are! I love CURVES ... I was a member for over 3 years and went faithfully, but had to quit after my heart packed it in ... it's fun, it's fast and it's effective. I found that I actually didn't lose much in the way of pounds, but definitely in inches, so don't go by the scale alone.

Alrischa said...

Happy procrastin... er... planning! I love planning for diets. Makes me feel very proactive and organized. I buy magazines and think about exercise. lol. Anyway, I'm having to be good, now, because Nathan will mind the kids for half an hour so I can walk on the tready... and then sit there and watch me! Well, the treadmill is in the lounge room. But you can knit while you tread! hehehe.

Of course, I'd rather sit on the couch... Leisure time (for those with two little kids) is as precious as diamonds (and more practical). How do people survive with more?

Alrischa said...

I got "csrgam", which looked interesting at first glance.

I'm impressed with Sereknitty (and think her name is appropriate) for casually stating "had to quite after my heart packed it in..." I had to read that three times!

Sinéad said...

It's just too easy now to conjure up a smutty remark about the courgettes so I'll leave that one alone.
Personally I think you have a lovely figure, and losing 12 pounds would be too much! Still, if you really want to, I believe Curves is great fun and really quick. Perfect for lunch breaks.
If you get the chance to go to paris, I would definitely take it. Not my favourite city in the world, but it has to be seen at least once right? Plus with the air miles, it's practically free ;)

birana said...

Ha!hA I love the picture with vegetable! I’m a list person too.. every evening I plan to make tooo much things for the time I have and finally I take my needles before the end of my list. I also have one for the moving and one for my finance (I hate this one.. it’s never as expected and I don’t know why it’s always less than more money. Damn money!) But at least you know (about) whre your heading. My knit list is the worst one I think… I don’t respect 9 on 10 things of it. Anyway have fun try to trin, eat well and live well

Ali P said...

Personally, I think you are beautiful just as you are and I'm not just saying that beacuse one of me equals 2 or more of you.
Curves is an excellent idea and you could do it on your lunch hour. It totally tones you up and you shed inches. REALLY! And not only tummy but back, thighs and ass, arms...everywhere!
I loved Curves in NS but here in Terrebonne with the Frenchness it just depressed me worse so I stopped.
Also, i have the Eating Well Diet book and its excellent. Sensible eating with calorie counting. Very simple and it worked quite well UNTIL the trip to Virginia. let me know if you want to borrow it for a couple of weeks.

Crissy said...

I totally hear where you're coming from - I too always seem to have something on the go (that involves some sort of goal) ... life just seems better when I have things in the works. :)

As for Paris, don't even think about it - GO!! I'm headed that way in three weeks, can't wait! :)

Cheers,
Crissy