Sunday, September 20, 2009

I've got a good reason

I know, I haven't posted in a week, and I'm sorry. Yeah, yeah, broken record much? I hear ya. But read on, gentle.... uh.... reader. You'll see I had a good reason.

So, last time we spoke I regaled you with the tale of my incredible athletic achievement at the 10km race of the Montreal Marathon.

Next day I had choir practice (oh yeah, I decided not to quit choir after all), but hey, I've never been a once-a-day blogger, right? And Tuesday..... well, Tuesday the fit really hit the shan.

As we were sitting down to dinner, Phil was moving a flower vase out of the way on the dining room table when it broke in his hand and cut his left ring finger very badly. Very, very badly. We had to take him to the emergency room right away, it was bleeding so much.

The FrankenFinger

The kids were pretty freaked out, heck... I was pretty freaked out! It was a bit scary. Anyway, they stitched him up for now, but it looks as though he has tendon and/or nerve damage, so he's got an appointment with a plastic surgeon on Tuesday. *Sigh*

Tuesday wasn't all bad, of course. I mean... Little Miss Enabler was born on Tuesday!!! and you know what that means... I can FINALLY tell you about the garment I knit for her.


I knit her the Helena cardigan, using sumptuous Tanis Fiber Arts DK weight yarn in the Jewel colourway. I really like knitting cardis for babies, and this one was a really fun, enjoyable knit with a special details that really made the outfit precious.

I had plenty of yarn leftover (sadly, not enough to knit MYSELF a matching cardigan), so I decided on a whim to knit a little hat to go with it (y'all remember how THAT turned out).

I got to meet the Little Miss this afternoon (her name is Bronwyn Evangeline, a bit of a mouthful for my francophone children - and husband!), and I can just tell it's going to look fabulous on her.

I've got lots more to share with you all, but I'm going to call it quits for tonight. It's been a bit of a DORMA day, and I'm knackered.

Happy Knitting Everyone!

9 comments:

Alrischa said...

It's so purple and girly; I love it! Bronwyn Evangeline is a nice mouthful, isn't it, but very cute. Send my congrats over...

Fantastic finger shot, too! Bet it ruined a few teatowels before getting to the hospital. Ouch!!

Sereknitty said...

Yeow! Poor Phil -- that does look nasty. Loved the cardi!!! You did such a good job on it. It's been in my queue for sometime, waiting for a little girl to come along -- perhaps next April when we're expecting our 4th grandbaby?

Sandra said...

En tout cas... You look radiant my friend and I can't wait to see you - if you can - at our knit meeting one of these days !

Mrhide said...

Tara did not mentioned that we actually went (more like race) to the same hospital as Kate for my finger, the day of birth! So she actually called herself Kate's sister and we went and saw the newborn outside visit hours!

Yes.
It hurts.
Still.
Thanks.

More tomorrow when I see the plasticien.

Montreal Mama said...

Ouch to Phil's finger. Hope it heels soon.

Love the outfit for Bronwyn, and I have to go one of these days to meet her. She's so tiny! I miss that size.

You look great running! Who took that pic?

kate-the-enabler said...

1. Sending out best wishes for Philippes appointment tomorrow - waiting with bated breath for the results.

2. You all have no idea what a colourful, cheerful entrance Tara and Philippe made into the hospital room. A completely fabulous surprise, although I regret that the frankenfinger had to occur....ick.

3. Seriously floored by the beautiful sweater and hat. I know, I always sound so kiss-uppy, but really, how can you not, with a friend like this one...

ps - we may have overlooked the stress on our francophone friends when choosing Bronwyn. Hoping that having Evangeline in there makes up for it... :)

birana said...

Wow! Nice photo super athlete mama ;) gosh! Poor phil it's a big seam, would not be good for knitting! And cute baby knitting! It went so fast.. I remember readin she was pregnant like a month ago... times goes by!

Anonymous said...

1. Crazy franken-finger! I hope it feels better, with minor long-term effects.

2. Gorgeous race photo- who took it?

3. Adorable knitting. Love the color and the pattern is precious. My favorite part is the matching hat, the lace will look adorable around the face. :) Did you design the hat?

4. I can't wait to meet Bronwyn- that's one lucky baby!

Sinéad said...

Lots to say today:
1. Poor Phil! I hope you feel better soon.
2. Congrats Kate the Enabler, and welcome Bronwyn. What a gorgeous name
3. Love the cardigan and hat. Such luscious girly colours, I can see why you wanted to make one for yourself too!
4. Love the Frankenfinger picture. There's nothing like a bit of gore on a blog. Yum. It's Soo CSI.