Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Call me Stinky

Yesterday my cleaning lady broke my shower door. Actually, she pulled on the door too hard to open it, and broke the little plastic doodad that holds the door in place. The piece has actually broken about 12 times over the past 5 years, but Phil has always managed to fix it with trusty Super Glue (well, maybe not that trusty, since it has broken more than once). But wait. Phil's not here right now, is he?

Riiight. I decided I could forgo the shower yesterday (I showered late Monday afternoon), and when Maxime was in bed for his afternoon nap, I glued the piece back on. No worries. Yup, I'll just glue the piece back on then reinstall the door. How hard can it be? Yeah. This would be one of those times when I feel like the rat in the maze. How is it possible that I'm so mechanically challenged???

Apparently, you have to reinstall the door THEN glue the piece back on, something I figured out after struggling with the frickin' door for 15 minutes (with my daughter's incessant "Qu'est-ce que tu faaaaaais Mamaaaaaaan????" in the background - Lord give me patience!). Rather than throw it out the window in a fit of rage, I did what any sane woman would do. I sucked it up and called my Father-in-Law (he loves this kind of stuff). Sure enough, he rushed over while I was giving Émilie her bath, and tried to salvage my mistake.

He then proceeded to 1) take the door apart; 2) break the part; 3) put the door back together; 4) drill a hole in the shower; and 5) break the part in another spot. He left with the parts in a plastic baggie, and promised to make a new part, this time in metal (we can't buy a new part, they don't make them anymore). I just know we'll end up buying a new shower door (or possibly a new shower).

So yeah, call me Stinky, because there will be no showering in this house for a while. Grrrr.

Maxime's nap schedule has been a bit off lately. I can usually put him down without any fuss, but the past few days he's been fighting it and, although he sleeps well in the morning, we're back to the dreaded 40 minute naps in the afternoon. It's rough, particularly when you consider that his nap time is the ONLY non-kid time I get all day until both kids are in bed.

I'm supposed to go to my Cardio-Poussette class this morning, but I really, REALLY don't feel like it. I'll probably end up going anyway, though (I AM the champion of self-imposed guilt, after all). It's shaping up to be a beautiful day (kinda cold, though).

Not much knitting content today, I'm afraid. I've reached the heel on the second Embossed leaves sock, so I should have a completed gusset by tomorrow, if I can get a little knitting time in during the day. I also wound my January Rockin' Sock Club yarn into a cake on Monday. I think that'll be my next sock project.


Mrhide said...

snif ...snif... say what's that smell?! :)

birana said...

There’s day like that.. at least you had your father-in-law to rescue the shower’s door ;-) Knitting is slowed down, but not completely stopped. Yesterday I was stinky too.. I had to took the stairs for 12 floors because elevator were not working after an fire alarm.. we would have been a good stinky duet ;)

Knit & Purl Mama said...

Oh man! Bad luck shower door! Time for a new one??? LOL. Did your father-in-law come back with a fix? I guess I should keep reading!

Knit & Purl Mama said...

Oh, and I won't tell anyone you smelled for a few days, shhh!