Sunday, March 22, 2009

Drama Unfolding

I know the suspense is killing you, so before I get on with the topic of tonight's post, let me just confirm right now that I did indeed finish the Pacific Islands stole on Friday night. I blocked it today, and it's looking fabulous, if I do say so myself. Here's a taste.

But before I get to that, I want to tell you about our trip to the Montreal Botanical Gardens this morning, specifically to see the Papillons en Liberté (Butterflies Go Free) exhibit. It's become something of a "thing" in Montreal, a Spring tradition, right up there with the Sugar Shack. We've gone almost every year since I was pregnant with Émilie, in 2004.

It's a lot of fun, and always draws quite the crowd (especially on a Sunday), so we arrived as soon as it opened, so as to be able to really take our time and enjoy the butterflies.

OK, now something you need to know right now: butterflies are like lap dancers. They can touch you, but you can't touch them.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that, as you know, Émilie has quite a thing for bugs, as seen on many, many occasions in this blog (like here, and here). There are signs everywhere, and an audio message when you come in to the greenhouse: DON'T TOUCH THE BUTTERFLIES.

So... do you think that stopped my little entomologist? Um....

Of course it didn't. But what I want you to focus on in this picture isn't the fact that Émilie's in clear violation of the whole "Do Not Touch The Butterflies" rule. No, it's the 2 security guards in the background. See them? Wait, how about here...

See him now? Also note how he's giving me the look, after giving Émilie a stern warning that she's not to touch the butterflies.

Well, you can guess what happened next, right?

Aaaaaww. She was heartbroken that she couldn't touch them. She's actually quite delicate with them, but as we explained to her (repeatedly), rules are rules. (By the way, does the fact that this pictures totally cracks me up make me a bad parent? Just wondering...)

The rest of the visit went well, don't worry. The kids really enjoyed it, even loved walking around the rest of the greenhouse, seeing the plants from various climates.

(I love it when they get along like this)

The orchids are my favourite part of the Botanical Gardens.

Daddy and Maxime enjoying the waterfall.

By the way, my cousin Jessica was with us, but unfortunately, most of the pictures we've got with her in them are either unflattering or have Émilie picking her nose or something equally undignified...

The rest of the day was spent in typical DORMA fashion. I'd say I got everything essential I needed to get done done (food, laundry, plants), but as always, things I'd have liked to get done were set aside (ironing, eyebrows...).

When the food was done and Maxime was still sleeping, I had some time to pin out the stole. Here are a few pictures, Knitspot style...

And the money shot...

In the immortal words of Stevie Wonder: Isn't she lovely? I wasn't able to take any pictures of it unpinned, but trust me when I say it's truly beautiful, Maggie's magnificent yarn was perfect for the project, and I'm going to have a bitch of a time giving this one up. But as Phil says: this is a 5-day, all expenses paid trip to Florida we're getting in exchange, so I just need to suck it up.

All right, I'm off to get ready for another week. Happy Knitting Everyone!

ps: Psssst! In case you were wondering whether Émilie's entire butterfly experience was completely ruined by the tears and drama you glimpsed earlier.... This was taken right before we left. It TOTALLY landed on her. Honest.


8 comments:

Sereknitty said...

What an amazing day you've had! Emilie and the butterflies are gorgeous -- especially loved 'the pout':)

Wow, that shawl turned soooo pretty! I can see you'd find it hard to part with, considering the amount of work that went into it. I can only hope that the intended recipient is suitably worthy and impressed with this wonderful piece.

Anonymous said...

I've been dying to go to the exhibit each year, and we are finally going with the boys on Easter Monday. I can't wait! (I hope I can get Jakob to understand not to stomp on them...think I might confine him to the stroller and wear Henri in a sling just to be safe...)

BTW not only is the shawl gorgeous, but that blue/aqua color is the MOST STUNNING color I've seen in a while, and photographed in the sun it looks so bright and pretty. Made me smile right away.

Alrischa said...

Oh, no! You have to give it away? That's rotten... At least it sounds like you're giving it to someone who appreciates it.

That pout cracks me up, too. I bet the security guard keeps track of how many kids he makes cry. hehe. Glad she got to hold another one in the end, too.

birana said...

It looks wonderfull that expo on butterflies and it’s good to have kids used to it. Love the last pic with Emilie and the butterfly on her tiny hand! And your… She is in fact beautiful. It’s not even a question! And for 5 day Florida trip.. anytime ;)

Sinéad said...

Woo! It's finished baby! And it looks fab too. So glad you got it done. Now you can knit something fun & frivolous for yourself...
Poor Émilie, she looked so sad that she couldn't touch the butterflies. Poor kid. A vet in the making methinks!

Maggie said...

The shawl is so beautiful! I envy your lace patience!

Poor Emilie! We have a butterfly sanctuary near us, and there is just no way to not touch the butterflies there. They land on you whether you want them to or not! Now I want to go again, it's so beautiful there.

Perhaps Emilie will grow up to be a lepidopterist. :)

Mrhide said...

The shawl is indeed very nice but hey, I think it's a nice token of appreciation for what we're getting in exchange. (more on that next week!)

Phil in Paris ..Maine

Montreal Mama said...

That's soooo cool that the butterflies come right to you and land on you! I've got to check out the exhibit as well!

Where did you get your blocking wires from?? I've got to eventually invest in a set....!