Monday, March 2, 2009

Random Monday

I've no idea what to say today, other than that I feel the need to say something, because it's been 3 days since I last posted and I feel guilty when it's been too long between posts.

The weekend was a blur, as usual. I went to a kickboxing class with my über-fit sister-in-law and brother-in-law on Saturday, and it was a lot of fun, despite my SIL telling me I needed to bulk up my arms a bit and trim my hips and ass, because I'm "triangular as opposed to hourglass-shaped". *Snort* Thanks babe, I really hadn't noticed until you mentioned it.

Saturday evening we went to my in-laws' house for dinner. As an appetizer, they were serving oysters, something I have a hard time stomaching. I had a bad experience the first time I tried them, they weren't well prepared and I just couldn't get the stupid thing to LET GO OF THE SHELL.

Anyhoo, I was in the living room with Maxime when they all started eating, and what should I see when I walk into the kitchen but my 4 year-old daughter Émilie, gulping those slimy-suckers down like a pro, commenting on how delicious they were and how "they taste like the sea".

Now, this is the girl who won't eat melted cheese, for crying out loud!!! I was flabbergasted. Of course, I couldn't let this tiny person upstage me, so I just HAD to eat one, right? Good example and all that New Age Crap...

I wouldn't call them my new favourite food or anything, but it wasn't as ghastly as I remembered oysters to be either. I guess I just got used to the sensation of raw food when I fell passionately in love with sushi.

Sunday morning the kids and I headed over to Kate-the-Enabler's house for a playdate. Phil was out kite-skiing (or rather trying to, there was no wind to speak of), but he joined us a bit later. It's always nice to go over there and have the kids play together. We talked about our plans for the summer and Kate's soon-to-be 4 year-old son Aidan and I plotted joint family vacations that would involve someone buying him a snorkel. The details are still somewhat shaky, but I'm confident we'll work something out.

Sunday afternoon I was able to have a nap with Émilie while Phil made a giant pot of spaghetti sauce, and in the evening I made this week's dinners (meatloaf, lasagna and a chicken casserole). Once the kids were in bed, I was able to get some knitting done, although I'm sad to say I did NOT achieve my goal of knitting 21 rows on the stole last night. I'm now about 2.5 chart repeats into the second half, with less then a month to finish and block it. It'll be fine...

Hey! Have you seen the new Twist Collective? Any favourites? I like the grant park pullover, kerouac, the necco wafer hoodie, the little liza jane onesie, Colette (I even have the yarn for this one in the stash!!!) and all the socks (but then I've got a thing for socks...). Way to go ladies!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

7 comments:

kate-the-enabler said...

You guys really did have the elaborate plans in the works...and all I have to say is, I want a snorkel too. OK? You forgot to mention the awesome apple bread you brought over, of which I ate far more than my share. Thank you.
I'm delighted to hear that you (and Emilie) got that nap.
The stole will be fine. You will prevail.
As for Twist - I agree, I really like the socks (Blossom is calling my name), the onesie cover, and the primrose path... I really like Colette too - but I'd worry about getting it to fit my shoulders 'just right'

Sinéad said...

oysters? *shudder* not for me thanks. Not even with Irish Guinness (as is the popular way of eating them here).
The twist collective socks are gorgeous. Must resist. Must.

birana said...

I'm not so much a fan of oyster.. maybe I did not taste good ones lately. I saw twist collective, but i usual i'm more a fan of winter style rather than summer styles.

Ali P said...

Twist Is out!! That was way fast!
All is well Chez Nous after the meeting of impending doom this morning. The doom missed us this go around. Yay!
I wish I had some friends to go on a camping vacation with. Its so much more fun as a group to spread the kids and chores around and have new conversations over the campfire instead of "yep" "ummhmm". This summer's destination besides possibly a camping trip in NS (YAY!!beaches!!) is Valcartier for a weekend (arrive Friday, do the water park Saturday, leave Sunday).

Sereknitty said...

I prefer my oysters smoked, on a cracker! Aren't kids amazing? They'll totally try something at someone else's house that they would never touch at home! I'm heading over to look more closely at the twist blog for my next project -- I've finished the cardi -- check it out!

Alrischa said...

Another Twist! Yay... I like necco wafer, the cute monkey blanket, the primrose path (in another color, though) and that ad where the lambs are wearing jumpers! LOL!

Probably should finish the Vivian first, though, and a few off the great queue of things I have... that I keep ignoring to start Other Things. Sigh. So much knitting, so little time.

Montreal Mama said...

I love Oyster, Muscles, etc. Yum!

Your daughter is too funny, love what she called it. Odd that she won't eat melted cheese but she'll eat oysters! Wow...!