Thursday, November 18, 2010

Conspiracy Theory

I just finished knitting the most insanely intricate and complex (but in a good way) hat I've ever knit (Mystery KAL 2010 - Pattern A). It's beautiful, a real tribute to my knitting expertise. The yarn was really well paired with the pattern, and my stitches are impeccable, if I do say so myself. Yup, it's a proud, proud moment chez Dear.

Or rather, it would be if it weren't for one slight, small snag: it's so big I could use it as a football helmet cozy.

Before you throw the "Did you knit a swatch?" argument in my face, let me assure you that I DID, in fact, knit a swatch, and found an appropriate needle size to get gauge.

Oh, and to all you "Did you measure your head circumference?" smart alecks out there? Yeah, I did. Twenty-two inches. I've got the largest size head, and this thing STILL droops down to my nose.

Gauge lies. Measuring tapes lie. It's a conspiracy.

11 comments:

kate-the-enabler said...

oh dear. THAT big, eh? How ever will you do the photo shoot? ;)

~RaenWa~ said...

Is it maybe big enough to fit anyone else or is it like big enough for an animals head like a bear or something lol... I have been hearing that gauge swatches lie alot hmm makes me wonder if I should even bother to try them.

Alrischa said...

Maybe a balloon with a face can be your photo model...?

hehehe

Caroline said...

Awww that sucks. But I want to see!

Mrhide said...

it's totally for someone with BIG hair

Celia said...

I agree with Mrhide. Might have to find someone in my home state of Texas that could wear it over the big hair.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Oh no!! That large? I agree with you though - gauge lies sometimes...!

Odd question - when you do a KAL - are these patterns that the designer themselves had test knitted to make sure that they work out?

Allison said...

I like the conspiracy theory of knitting blunders!

chudoland said...

wow, so big... let's wash it in hot water :-)

Audrey said...

Did you knit your swatch in the round or back and forth? They give different results you know... but I'm sure you do. This has happened to me too, so I'm willing to get on board with the conspiracy theory.

Dawn said...

Sometimes I think it's not so much the swatch that lies but the yarn that does. Darn you Malabrigo sock...I have big feet but not big enough to fit these Sasquatch socks.